Friday, August 1, 2008

The VCR Ate My Tae Bo Tape

I started doing Tae Bo last year, and I actually enjoy doing it. I can do it early in the morning while the kids are sleeping, and most importantly, I don't have to leave the house to do it. I started out with Tae Bo Basic, a 25 minute workout. After a couple months of doing that, I added on the 8 minute work out(like 8 minutes of the advanced workout) to give my basic workout a boost. I knew I was avoiding the advanced workout (like the plague). A couple months ago I thought I was finally "up for it" because even the basic plus 8 minute work out was starting to get old; even though I'd be sweating, I felt like I could work out longer. So I popped in the advanced tape to just take a peek at what it was all about. Oh. My. It's 55+ minutes of bodily punishment is what it is. I quickly popped that baby out of the VCR and returned it to it's place on the shelf, and continued on with my Basic plus 8, thank you very much.

Well about 10 days ago I got up early to do my work out and popped the tape into the VCR like I always do while I'm busily putting on my MP3 player (I mute these videos and listen to my own music. The music in exercise tapes is lame at best.) The VCR started making some interesting noises, and I thought that maybe I had forgotten to rewind it, so I went to pop it out to check, but it wouldn't come out. The VCR was eating the tape! It wouldn't give it up, so I unplugged it and did weights instead. Not the work out I had prepared myself for, but it was better than nothing.

Fortunately Mike was able to extract the tape from the VCR, and the VCR is fine; it was just the tape that had finally wore out. Last night I finally got around to ordering a new Tae Bo workout (DVD, lol), but meanwhile, I need to still get in some exercise. It's in the 90's right now with a heat index over a 100, so outside activities are a no-go for this woman. I'm a wimp; pool or lake is the only thing I'll consider doing outside in this heat. So I looked over at the entertainment center and saw that Advanced Tae Bo tape staring me down, daring me to try it. Well, what have I got to lose while I wait on the new work outs to arrive, I thought? For anyone who's done the Advanced workout, you'll know what I mean when I ask, "Where's the warm-up?" Good grief, the man takes about 30 seconds to give me whip-lash, and BAM! You're doing kick boxing with all your might! I told myself before starting that I would hang in there for at least 20 minutes. I'm proud to say I made it 28 minutes. I was dripping sweat (perspiring is not an adequate adjective here), thighs were burning (they're still feeling it 4+ hours later), but I made it half way through! And I guess I'll keep trying to beat that time till my Get Ripped DVDs show up in the mail.

If you're patient (and interested) enough, wait to see what the 8 minute workout is all about (the 8 minute workout is like doing 8 minutes of the ADVANCED workout, so you can understand that making it 28 minutes is no easy feat and why I'm thoroughly impressed with my sorry self.)

2 comments:

Shea said...

UGH! I took all my taebo tapes to charity a month or so ago. I could have given them to you. I credit taebo to me losing my baby weight with grace.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I have a taebo tape around here somewhere. Maybe I should blow some dust of it and put it in the player. Just watching the tape makes me tired.