Friday, September 26, 2008

Tortilla Lasagne

I got this recipe out of a magazine. It meets my criteria of being easy and mighty tasty (in my opinion anyway!) I used low-fat cheese and low-fat sour cream, as well as ground sirloin to help shave off some of the fat and cholesterol (not that it helps much in a dish like this, but at least I get a C+ for effort.) And since my kids freak if we serve them anything too spicy, I eliminated the cayenne pepper, and I think I reduced cheese by 25% because I didn't have enough. It still came out great. It's sort of hard to go wrong here. Make it your own.


1 pound ground beef
1 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1-1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cups shredded monterey Jack cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8-10 flour tortillas (6")
1 (8 oz) jar salsa
1 small onion, diced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, cook beef and drain. Stir in water, taco seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sour cream and chili powder. In another bowl, combine cheeses. Spray cooking spray into a 9x13 pan. Arrange 1/2 of the tortillas on bottom of dish, overlapping. Spread 1/2 cup of salsa on top. Layer with half of the meat mixture, then onion, and spread 1/2 of the sour cream mixture over the top. Sprinkle with 1.5 cups cheese mixture. Repeat layers (retaining 1 cup of cheese mixture.) Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!


1 comment:

JoEllen said...

I do a recipe very similar Cheryl. But you put refried beans in it also!