Sunday, November 23, 2008

Home Schooling

I can hardly classify myself among those ambitious and on-the-ball parents out there who are home-schooling their children. I stand in awe of what you do! I battle with Eric just to do 20-30 minutes of homework a day. I would be putting my head in the oven if I had to home-school that boy.

Charlotte, however, is a whole other ball game. She's a teacher's dream. Eager to please, hard-working, rarely complains, catches on quickly, wants to learn. How do I know this? Well she wanted to learn how to read. I have no idea how to teach a person to read, but I didn't think that should stand in her way. So I did some research this past August/September and found a program that I thought fit our needs.

Charlotte and I sit down each weekday morning after we drop Eric off at school and work on her Adventures in Phonics. She's coming along amazingly well, and this past week she read her first book to me. It was such a treat to share this moment with her. Charlotte was so proud and pleased with herself for reading a book on her own! And me? Well of course I was proud of her, but I was also just a little pleased with myself for having played a role in helping her get to this point.

I have no doubt by the end of this "school year" that Charlotte will be reading way above her grade level. She's one highly motivated girl!