Sunday, February 1, 2009

This Mint Brownie Thing



I always love when a new recipe turns out really tasty. I love it even better when I fly by the seat of my pants, improvise, and combine multiple recipes to create one new one and it turns out good!

And where else would I share such information, but here on my blog! Here goes:

Mint Brownie Dessert

1 box Pillsbury Fudge Brownie Mix (any brand fudge brownie mix would be fine; this just happens to be the one I used.)
Eggs, water and oil for the brownie mix per instructions
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 stick butter, softened
2 drops green food coloring
1 tbl milk
peppermint extract
6 oz chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream


Bake brownie according to package directions in a 9x13 pan. Let cool.

Beat butter, food coloring, 1 tbl milk, extract (see note) and confectioners sugar in bowl till smooth.

(Note on peppermint extract: I added in 1-1/8 tsp, but mine is not exactly, uh, fresh from the store, if you know what I mean, so depending on the age of your extract, you might want to start with a 1/2 tsp and go from there. You don't want it to taste like toothpaste, so go easy with it.)

After mixing the peppermint frosting, spread over the cooled brownie. Next, place whipping cream in a saucepan with the chocolate chips, and melt over med-low heat, stirring constantly just till the chips are all melted and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool, stirring every once in a while (I sped up the process by putting it into the fridge.) Once it's cooled, spread it over the top of the green frosting and allow to set (again, I sped up the process by placing in the fridge. However, you'll need to pull it out of the fridge before serving so it's not cold.)

Now if you're trying to throw this together with what you have on hand and don't have whipping cream in the fridge and don't want to run to the store, you can opt to melt the chips in the microwave with a tbl of butter or shortening until all melted and smooth (about 1-1/2 minutes). Allow to cool a bit, then spread that on top of the peppermint frosting. However, this will harden more like a candy bar and will not be creamy like the picture shows. Either way, it'll taste good!

There's always the possibility that no one will care for these if you make them; however, I didn't experience that problem and this is what was left to bring home. :-) But that's OK. I love it when folks enjoy my experimentations!







No comments: