Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Child Proofing

Last month I requested that Mike remove all the child proofing from the cabinets. Many of our cabinets with chemicals or glass dishes still had "Tot Loks" on them (a special lock that requires a magnetic key to open.)


Eric has been opening up the cabinets with the key for a couple years, but I kept the locks on for Charlotte's sake.....probably a year too long (neither of my children has been the "budding scientist" wanting to mix ammonia with bleach or something crazy like that, so the locks really could've come off a while ago.) More likely they'd get into the movie cabinet and leave the contents strewn all over the living room floor. But, there was just too much life going on to be bothered with thinking about changing how to access the contents of a cabinet differently than I've been doing for the past 7 years. So they stayed on a little longer than needed.

Now that the Tot Loks are off the cabinets, I have to say I'm really loving just walking up to a cabinet and opening it right up! I used to do this all the time before I had children, but now it's such a novelty! No longer do I have to first reach for the magnet key, which is never where it's supposed to be, just to grab an SOS pad or a glass dish. No hunting it down, no waiting for the click that tells me the key has unlatched the lock.

While the growth of our children is bittersweet at times, there are small victories like this one to console us as we go along. And if I can sell the locks on eBay, all the better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That post was funny. I love the magnet locks we put a few on but need to put on more. Anyway we were at Best Buy a couple of nights ago and our 2 year old was thrilled! They had a kitchen area with cabinettes like ours but much to his pleasure there were no locks!