Saturday, January 10, 2009

There's My DNA

One day last month Charlotte and I settled in to look at one of my scrap albums. It happened to be Volume I in a collection of "My Life" albums. I was looking for some photos of the blizzard of 1979 to show her because she didn't believe me that the snow was so high we could walk right up on top of our shed and jump off into the snow drifts on the other side (it was great fun, by the way.)

Charlotte wanted to start at the beginning of the album and go all the way through to the end. Along the way were baby photos, vacations in Kentucky and Washington DC, plus the obligatory school pictures. When we got to my Kindergarten photo, Charlotte pointed and said, "There's Eric!" For years I've always looked at Eric as being a "Mini Me" of Mike. From the moment he was placed into my arms at the hospital I saw the strong resemblance between the two of them. Let's just say besides my blue eyes and poker straight hair, Eric didn't inherit much else from me.

When Charlotte made that comment, though, I instinctively looked at that photo of me when I was 5 years old to see what she saw. Perhaps it was the short hairstyle my Mom preferred on me, but I'd like to think that Charlotte saw the same resemblances that for the first time I happened to notice. It was kind of exciting to see a little more evidence of my DNA. In fact, I think he looks more like me now than he ever has before.




3 comments:

Shea said...

You look a lot alike. I also wanted to add that I make your mac and cheese a lot. The whole family loves it and it's great to take to potlucks.

JoEllen said...

Wow! You do look so much like! Cute pics!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys DO look a like!! I've only seen the "mini-Mike" before now!! :) That's exciting!