Thursday, January 8, 2009

Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese

I don't know how many years ago I cut this recipe out of the Chicago Tribune; my copy of it is yellowing so I know it was a while ago. I've made this countless times, have shared the recipe with many, and Monday I got a hankering for it since I haven't made it in at least a year. I guess I was craving some good old-fashioned comfort food. My kids about gagged on it, 'cause it's not that nasty stuff from a box that they apparently prefer. This is one of my failures as a mother.

Unlike most of my recipes, this one will require a little bit of work. It's easy work, but it's still going to require you to dirty up some dishes and stand at the stove or counter for 20 minutes. The recipe "as is" will be more than sufficient as a side dish for a family of 4-5. It easily doubles for a 9x13 pan.

***********************

1/2 stick butter
5 tbl all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp dry mustard (or to taste)
8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
12 ounces (3 cups) grated mild cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbl melted butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni to al dente; drain (don't over cook, since it will continue cooking in the oven.)

While macaroni is cooking, melt 1/2 stick of butter on medium heat. Whisk in flour and stir for a minute. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper and dry mustard. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce slowly till very thick, stirring frequently (10-20 minutes). Remove sauce from heat. Add 8 oz (2 cups) cheese and stir until it melts. Pour sauce over macaroni and stir (NOTE: This recipe makes more sauce than you need, so add about half and go from there till it's the desired consistency.)

Pour macaroni and cheese into a dish that's been doused with cooking spray. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Mix 1 tbl melted butter to 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Sprinkle across the top. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned on top and bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. I'm guessing it's like a gazillion artery-hardening calories, so don't think about it and just enjoy.....with some buttermilk biscuits slathered in butter. Hey, what's it matter at this point ;-) ?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a staple at our house. Just made it this past week. I have used velvetta in a pinch and I squirt yellow mustard in as well as the mustard powder. BTW, I had to buy a new breadmaker yesterday. Mine just died from one too many rounds with pizza dough. Let me tell you it is hard to find a bread maker anymore. Guess they are as fashionable as a waffle iron these days, lol.

Andrea

Cheryl said...

Seriously? I can't believe they're hard to find now (although I always see entire shelves of them at Good Will...no manual with them though)! Bummer! Hope mine lasts for a while cause making dough by hand is a lot more work! Do you use your breadmaker for other stuff too? I rarely make anything else, other than this herb bread which is pretty good. BTW, I just stumbled upon a recipe for Pizzeria Uno pizza crust for the breadmaker. I'll have to forward it to you.