Monday, July 14, 2008

My dictionary is so old.......

…..that the word Blog isn’t in there. What can I expect, when Internet isn’t there either. When you think about PC, what comes to mind? Personal Computer perhaps? When I looked up PC in my dictionary, PC stands for Peace Corps, percentage, postcard. Postcard ??? Hey, send me a PC next time you go on vacation, okay? I flipped till I got to personal, but there is no Personal Computer either. On a lark, I looked up Word Processing. It’s there……”automated typing and text editing equipment”. Did you catch that? The definition is equipment……not software. Anyone out there remember word processors? They came right after electric typewriters. I don’t think my kids even know what a typewriter is. Keyboards, a mouse, monitors..….they’re all over that. Typewriter? I can picture them asking, “What kind of game can you play on that thing?”

So how old is my dictionary, anyway? I flipped open to the front of the dictionary to see when this thing was printed. Egads! Copyright is 1981! This thing is an antique! There’s no way I can get away with this dictionary in the house as the kids get older. All the words they’re growing up with aren’t even in there – CD, Compact Disk, DVD…….fer cryin’ out loud, VCR isn’t even in there, an item that has already come and gone since I got this dictionary! I think the time has arrived to retire my trusty dictionary, the one that got me through high school and college, and just go online to www.dictionary.com.

1 comment:

Shea said...

I look up words on my computer now. Who needs books right? I have this cool dictionary thing that pops up when I click my mouse a certain way. I use it all the time when blogging.